Jefferson Lines provides convenient travel for all passengers with checked luggage and carry-on bags.
Baggage Policy & Allowance
Per the Jefferson Lines baggage policy, we are not liable for any unchecked baggage that may be lost or damaged. Please keep all your personal belongings, especially valuables such as cell phones, tablets, laptops, purses/wallets, and medications in your possession at all times.
Tagging and Transferring of Baggage
Please ensure that all checked bags have a baggage claim check and an identification tag prior to placing baggage underneath the bus. Baggage claim checks can be obtained at the ticket counter or driver at bus stop locations prior to boarding. Please make sure your bags are properly tagged inside and out.
Passengers are responsible for transferring their own bags between buses. Baggage assistance is available upon request. Special handling ID tags are available for customers that need help with their luggage, such as seniors, customers with disabilities, or adults traveling with small children.
Acceptable Baggage Type
We ask that passengers ensure their baggage material is sturdy and will not rip easily during transit. The following is a list of acceptable baggage types.
Bicycles transported as checked luggage are subject to the size and weight limitations for baggage (see Baggage Policy) and must be contained in wood, leather, canvas, or other substantial carrying case. If the bicycle exceeds the size or weight limitations, it may be transported by our Package Express Service subject to express terms and conditions.
Strollers and Car Seats
An infant stroller or car seat on board a Jefferson Lines bus will not be charged. Strollers can be checked underneath the bus according to the maximum checked baggage allowance. A car seat is in addition to your carry-on baggage.
- One child under the age of 2 can sit on your lap instead of using a seat, and in this case they travel for free.
- Children under the age of 2 who occupy a seat can get up to 20% off the full fare. To find out more by visiting our Discounts & Offers page.
You should ensure that your child seat has been approved for use in a motor vehicle, and is used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. Although many of Jefferson Lines buses are equipped with seat belts, it is not guaranteed. You are responsible for providing the necessary strapping or webbing for the car seat and for securing it to the bus seat.
Prohibited Items on the Bus
Jefferson Lines wants to ensure the safe travel and transport of our passengers and their baggage. For that reason, we ask that you please take a look at this overview of allowed and prohibited items on the bus.
- Medications & special needs devices: Allowed in your carry-on and checked baggage. We strongly advise that you keep all medications and prescription drugs in your carry-on.
- Food, drinks and accessories: Alcohol is not permitted on board or in checked baggage. Snacks, drinks and plastic silverware may be brought on board for use. Any glass containers or metal silverware must be in checked baggage.
- Sharp objects: Most aren’t allowed. Check the full list for details.
- Sporting goods: Not permitted on board but can be brought in checked baggage.
- Guns, firearms, explosives and dangerous chemicals: Not allowed at all anywhere on the bus or in baggage.
- Flammable items: Not allowed. See the full list for more details.
- Tools: Not allowed on board, but can be in checked baggage.
- Martial arts items: Not allowed on board.
- Hoverboards: Not allowed anywhere on the bus or in baggage.
- Laptops and electronic devices: Not allowed as checked baggage. However, they may be brought on board as a carry-on item.
Need to Transport More… Jefferson Package Express.
Due to space limitations, not all excess and/or over sized baggage may travel on the same bus and schedule as you. Depending on how full the bus is, you may be required to ship your extra baggage via Package Express on the next available schedule. Please check with your local bus station and agent for details.