Summer is the perfect time to soak in the sunshine, make the most of longer days, and set off on a few family adventures. Many summer activities guides take you miles away from home, but there’s plenty of fun things to do in North Dakota. That’s right, even in your own backyard.
Historical landmarks, picturesque trails, family activities, and so much more make for a memorable North Dakota staycation. Plus, it’s one of America’s most affordable vacation destinations, according to the American Automobile Association.
Plan a budget-friendly summer adventure for your family at these top North Dakota destinations that guarantee a fun, home-state staycation:
- Follow the Lewis and Clark Trail: Let’s first begin our summer activities guide with a nod to some of the first visitors to the state. Start your North Dakota staycation by following the footsteps of Lewis and Clark and the Corps of Discovery. The Lewis and Clark Trail includes stops at the Sitting Bull burial site and visitor center, Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park and more.
- Visit the International Peace Garden: Summer activities in North Dakota celebrate the seasonable weather and natural landscape. Head to the International Peace Garden along the U.S. and Canada border to enjoy 2,300 acres of beautiful trails and colorful gardens. Reserve a guided tour to really experience this top North Dakota destination.
- Enjoy the Scenery: One of the most fun things to do in North Dakota is to hit the open road. Don’t miss the impressive Badlands overlook or artsy Enchanted Highway with large sculptures along the roadway.
For an unforgettable North Dakota staycation, try the nearly 100-mile Maah Daah Hey Trail. Hikers, bicyclists, and horseback riders will enjoy the diverse landscape and wildlife.
- Stop At the National Buffalo Museum: Dive into the history of bison and their importance to the Plains culture at this Jamestown site. You’ll come face to face with a live buffalo herd, explore the historic Frontier Village, and see the World’s Largest Buffalo Monument, all at one location. It’s one of the summer activities in North Dakota you won’t want to pass up.
- Hit the Links: One of the top things to do in North Dakota may be the most surprising. The state has more golf courses per capita than any other in the United States. Grab your clubs and enjoy one of the many courses spread across the state. Check out Bully Pulpit Golf Course south of Medora to enjoy 18 holes with the Badlands as your backdrop.
Travel to Your Next Adventure with Jefferson Lines
Visit these top North Dakota destinations or check out other must-see spots on your own summer activities guide by booking a trip with Jefferson Lines. Our COVID-19 response plan ensures a safe ride for every passenger. Browse our website for more information, or contact us for questions or for help planning your next trip!